Sunday, November 29, 2009

Our First Attempt

So on Friday after gorging ourselves with TWO Thanksgiving dinners the day before, we headed off to try and find the lucky tree who'd come home with us this holiday season. We got off to a late start since we were waiting for my mom to call us and tell us where the rest of my family was headed to do their Christmas tree hunting. They had decided to drive to Hamlin valley, a 3+ hour drive for us, so we decided we'd head off on our own to see what we could find. Mike thought of a spot, so we drove there only to find there were many trees, but absolutely NO pine trees! I only saw one and it was about two feet tall. So we started home and found this little guy under the freeway pass.
While driving home I mentioned to Mike that maybe a certain place might have a few trees. A few years ago we took a drive out past Leeds to a camp ground and had decided we'd stay on the road to see where it lead. We were completely confused at times, and had placed bets as to where the road was going to end up. Turns out we were both wrong! It actually lead straight to Industrial road! Who'd have thought! So we headed out that way in search of a Christmas tree. Well about half way to the campsite, the tire on my father-in-laws truck pops and we hear a hissing sound. We get out to find a quarter size hole in the middle of the tire!
Yes I realize this picture is blurry, but Mike HATES pictures and this was the second one I took, and I wasn't really sure I wanted to irritate him more by trying to get one more in hopes it would be in focus, so I had to settle.
I decided to let the girls play while we changed the tire. Yes we! I helped! Or so I tried. Mike has a horrible back at the moment which actually resulted in two ambulances and a firetruck a month or so ago. I'll have to tell that story later if anyone is interested! But it ended with him now having horrible back problems, and little we can do about it. So changing a tire is really not something he should be doing. Although the flat tire was a bit of a bummer, I actually had a laugh trying to get the spare on. It's so heavy! I think it took us twice as long just get the spare on than the rest of the process. So we succeed and are starting to get back in the truck when we realize some idiot (yes me), turned the truck off, but left the lights on! You guessed it, dead battery! So here we are stuck in the middle of nowhere! Now it just happens to be luck that I had my cell phone. Mike had forgotten his and if any of you know him, you know his cell phone is more like a part of his body, you never see him without it. But today, he forgot it. I however almost left mine in our car when went to borrow his Dads truck, but at the last second decided to grab my purse, something I don't usually do. If I'm with Mike, my cell phone is hard to find. He's just the only one who really calls me, so why have it when I'm with him? But I now know why I felt I should grab it. And thank heavens I did or I'd have been the one walking 5 to 10 miles back to Leeds to find someone to come jump us! So we called my in-laws and told them of our predicament. We proceeded to have some quality family time for the next hour and a half inside the truck! Here we are trying the make the most of a sticky situation!
Sadly, after all that, we still did not come home with a Christmas tree. By the time we had fixed the flat tire, it was to dark to go off looking while we waited to be rescued. I'm thinking there might actually be something to purchasing a tree at Wal-Mart! But for now our tree hunting has been put off until next weekend. Mike was gone all day yesterday to the BYU game, and will be in California all week working! I just hope he's up for another adventure next Saturday!

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

We found LOADS of beautiful trees on Cedar Mountain! You should definitely look there if you get the chance. Seriously. I could have brought home about a million.

April Nielsen said...

We would always go up to Pine Valley. We found awesome trees there. The rest of the trip sounds totally unforgettable though. So I'm sure it was worth it?!

Judy Nebeker said...

You forgot the part about how excited the girls were to see Grandma (me) driving up that dark dirt road. Cute post Tammy, your making such fun memories. Mike has a funny history with Christmas trees!

Love it!