When school was over in May Kylie was bummed to say the least! She loved school so I told her when it got cold again, it would be time for school. Ironically only a few weeks after school was out, there was an unusually chilly day to which Kylie asked if was time to go back to school yet! She's just too smart for her own good! Poor thing had to wait a few more long months. At last, the day arrived!
This year, Kylie is going to a new preschool. Her teacher last year thought she'd do better in a regular preschool, then in the special program she was in. She was doing so well with her speech she decided being around other kids who were speaking more clearly would help her far better then just having her speech therapy. So we decided to go for it! At the beginning of the summer when I told Kylie she would be going to a new school she was terrified! She was not too thrilled about a new teacher and new friends. But over the summer she slowly warmed up to the idea and was very excited about her first day!
The biggest downfall to her new preschool is transportation. Last year the bus would pick her up right at our doorstep, then drop her off a few hours later. Oh how I miss those days! This particular preschool has no bus! So it's up to mommy to drive her to and from school four days a week at 8:15 in the morning! I have to say, that's just a tad bit early for me to have ALL of us ready and out the door! Sure I'm generally up by eight, but I'm usually just getting breakfast started by then! Not to mention the school she's attending is in La Verkin, a good 15 minute drive from our house. I'm also not allowed to simply drop her off, I have to drag her sister in with us so I can sign a paper and write down the time she arrived! I realize it's a good thing, but oh is it annoying! Kylie actually told me on the drive home after her first day that she didn't want me to come in with her anymore, she could do it herself! Where does she get off thinking she's so grown up!? I almost cried, she still needs me, right???
Walking into her new school!
I'm not too sure how much I'm loving this new preschool. Sure the program is great and the teachers are fantastic! But the kids on the other hand have me a little worried. The school has all the parents help one day a month and my day was last week. While I was there, a little boy couldn't stop talking about how much he loved tattoos and wanted to get one on his back like his Daddy! He asked me if I would call the cops on him if he got a tattoo. I wasn't exactly sure how to respond to that question. He then went on to tell some crazy story about how he and his dad went to jail. That triggered a response from a little girl who told me how her mommy went to jail because she got in a fight! Ummmm........do i really want my angel child going to school with you kids?!?! The program is state funded and in order to get in, you have to be in a very low income bracket, or be referred by the program Kylie was in last year. Not that there's anything wrong with having a low income (I'm sure Kylie would have gotten in if it had been based on our current income), but having Kylie in school with kids from troubled homes is a little nerve racking! What to do?! I could simply send Kylie back to the program she was in last year without any problems. However, the downfall there is she's with kids who have delays in some way or another, and some of those are behavioral issues. We had a small problem last year with Kylie bringing home tantrums she saw other kids throw. STRESSFUL! I'm almost thinking I should pay to put her in a preschool, however, money is tight, and I'm not sure she'll get the special one on one time she needs with a speech therapist. Yes her speech is actually really quite well, but she still has a problem pronouncing a few things. What to do?! Any suggestions? Kylie however seems to really enjoy her new school. I know she misses her best friend Brock though. She doesn't really have a close friend yet (which might be a good thing).
2 comments:
That is scary, but stick with it because-even though the kids may come from scary home situations-it totally helps those "normal" kids learn tolerance and kindness. I'm sure it's nervewracking as a parent, but it's also a social situation which all children need to learn to deal with appropriately. Also, we have an AWESOME speech therapist who works with kids at our school, so I can't imagine the elementary schools not having one. She'll still get the help she needs once entering the public school system.
it is so so scary as a parent to think of those things- education, the influence of others on your child- she'll be a good example to those kids! how fortunate for her to grow up in a loing home! oh I WISH you lived here- she could come to me!! I work with a speech pathologist so any extra guidance there is there- I would trade you my child for yours for a few hours;) hang in there hon- you'll feel what's best and right to do for Kylie (I believe she'll bloom where she's planted regardless;)
Post a Comment