Sunday, August 8, 2010

You Get What You Pay For!

So I've been dying to do something different with my hair for a while. However, I kept going back and forth on whether to cut it short, or just give it a good trim and add some color. I really wanted to have my cousin do it, and was trying to save my pennies (an effort I failed at miserably). Then one day my husband heard about $3 hair cuts they were having at the Hairitage Academy. All chemicals were also 30% off, so we decided to just go for it. Not sure it's an experience I'm willing to relive!

I went in and would you guess who was cutting my hair?? My high school Health teacher!! Yes you read that right, my TEACHER! Larson Woods taught my health class some time during my high school years and was now about to cut my hair! First of all, I always hate when guys cut my hair, maybe I'm a little judgmental, but I really don't think guys should be cutting hair, they just don't have the stamina to pay much attention to detail the way a girl would. And Mr. Woods was no different. He was very inexperienced in cutting and could not get the cut right, so he had to have a lot of help, which was a very good thing. I actually really love the cut itself, although he went a little shorter then I would have liked. It's the highlights I had major issues with! Oh it was awful! First of all the color was ALL wrong! It turned out white, and I asked for more of a golden type color. Not only was the color bad, but WOW was it a lot of color! Not what I wanted. I wanted to have noticeably highlighted hair, but I really wanted it to blend in, not a fan of zebra stripes. But zebra stripes he did and not only that, but it was completely uneven! I had huge patches of white in some areas and not so much in others, not to mention the bleed spots that were noticeably orange! He also didn't highlight it all the way to my scalp, so it looks like my hair has grown out for weeks and rather unevenly! Oh I wanted to cry! I was ready to color it all back to my natural color and vow to never again highlight my hair. I believe the last time I decided to add color to my hair was right before I got engaged. I ended up going back three different times, and finally let my roommate have a shot at it who did the BEST job ever! I've never loved my hair as much. But now I was relieving the nightmare of having to color my hair FIVE times in one week! (And yes, my hair was a DISASTER by the end of it. I had to sleep with a plastic bag over my hair while it was doused in conditioner for two nights! Talk about frying your hair! The color was perfect though!) So here I was with a color I hated. I couldn't afford to go anywhere else and get it fixed, so I called Haritage Academy the next morning and told them I hated it and I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to fix it. My plan was to make them dye my hair back to it's original color and start over with the highlights, this time doing it right. Well they wouldn't do it, said it would be too much for my hair to go through all that, so we compromised. She weaved in my natural color to take out a lot of the white, then used a toner to get the rest of the white to the color I wanted. Not exactly what I was hoping for and the results are not my favorite. I couldn't believe how uneven the highlights were as she was fixing them. But the end result is livable for me. I may however just go back to my natural color in a month or so when the highlights grow out too much. We'll see. But for now, what do you think??

Here's the before:

And here's the after:

I'm kind of missing the longer hair, it seems long hair is really in right now, but I guess I don't have much of a choice at the moment. See the single really blond/white strand in the back.... picture all my highlights that color only about 3 times more! So not me! Yep I got bangs too, which I love! My mom will be so proud! She's always pointing out my high forehead and growing up would not let me grow my bangs out ever! I tried to grow them out my senior year, but even when I went to get my hair done for senior pictures, she secretly told the girl make sure I had bangs. Hope you like them mom!

5 comments:

Intrigueing Accessories said...

tammy i love it! and besides if you have a high forehead you should have bangs to hide it. you look amazing!

*Aliese* said...

I love it! However, if you want me to do it, JUST CALL!!! I may not be a professional, but I've nearly mastered foils and trims thanks to living with cheap roommates for nearly a decade.

Diana said...

I am rollong on the floor right now! LARSON WOOD....are you kidding me? :) Can't picture him as a hair guy...on the bright side it looks great!

April Nielsen said...

We are SO much alike...I went to heritage a few weeks ago with Summer and her girls and I got a wild hair (no pun intended) to do something...although I would NOT trust them with color I did have them trim and give me bangs to... don't think you've seen them yet. Did NOT go over well with Mike. I cried...it is totally a blog worthy story. Anyway...LOVE it!!

Sarah said...

The hair cut is really cute and the color actually looks good! I understand what you mean about a guy cutting your hair. But my experience, which is weird, is that when a guy knows what he doing, he does a fantastic job!! So, I understand both ways... but I really like that cut on you! Can't wait to see you guys again!

Love ya!

Sarah Kolar