Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Family Of Five

HE'S HERE!!! The little guy has finally arrived! What a blessing it is to have such a wonderful new addition to the family!

At my appointment right before Christmas, we learned this little guy was sideways!! Not the best news. However, I was not the least bit surprised. With my other two, I knew exactly where they were, Kylie's foot always dug into my right rib cage and Kayla always dug into my left. This little man was EVERYWHERE! I could not for the life of me determine exactly where he was. Sometimes I could have sworn his foot was digging into my ribs, other times I knew it was kicking me right in the bladder! I was told if he was still sideways at my next appointment, they could try to turn him, see if he turns on his own, or schedule a c-section. Well by next appointment he was no longer sideways, but completely breech!! So we looked at our options and decided to try and have the doctor turn him. I was scheduled to go to the hospital the next day. I arrived and was all checked in when the nurse gave me an ultrasound. He was no longer breech but sideways again. So the nurse talks to my doctor wondering what he wanted to do. My doctor comes in no more then five minutes later and takes a look for himself. This time the baby is completely head down!!! Amazing! I had heard getting a baby turned is not exactly a walk in the park, and I for one was relieved I didn't have to experience the pain associated with turning a baby. So the doctor told me if he was still head down by my next appointment, he might consider taking advantage of it and inducing me. I was thrilled to hear it! As luck would have it, he was still head down the next week and I was dilated to a 4! He asked if I wanted to be induced and I was all for it. I had debated all week if I really wanted to do it, or just wait it out and go on my own. Two things held me up; a) the fact that my daughters birthday was three days earlier (not sure I wanted them that close) and b) the fact that my mother-in-law was planning a baby shower for that Saturday meaning he would be in my bedroom for the shower and not my tummy. Of course if he decided to turn again and I went into labor, a c-section would be a must. Not that one more scar on this belly would matter, but I really didn't want the recovery! But after four nights of no sleep due to the back pain I was now feeling, I decided I was ready to be done! So Wednesday (three days after my daughters birthday and three days before the shower) I headed to the hospital to be induced again! (None of my kids have come on their own). They started the pitocin at about 12:50. They decided to start me out slowly because sadly I had tested positive for the group B strep and had to be given antibiotics which I had to have two doses of within 4 hours. Since I deliver fast, they really wanted to make sure they got it all in. I was very surprised with how the contractions were. With the other two it was PAINFUL! I was crying with each contraction by the time I received my epidural. But with this one, they were painful, but bearable. Nothing I didn't think I could handle. I was dilated to a 5 and feeling pretty good. The nurse asked if I wanted my epidural and I was a little hesitant since I wasn't in much pain. But decided to go ahead with it so there wouldn't be much pain at all. That's where the most difficult part of the whole delivery took place. Once the epidural was in, my blood pressure dropped drastically, making me nauseous and extremely hot. However, it was short lived. After giving me the appropriate medication to bring my blood pressure back up, all was well and I had the BEST epidural ever! With my other two, I was completely paralyzed and could not move the bottom half of my body. With this one for some reason my stomach was completely numb, but my legs were simply tingly. I could still move them but there was little pain. I could simply feel a little bit of pressure with each contraction, but that was it, and I could still move my legs! LOVED it! They broke my water after two hours, I was progressing so well they stopped the pitocin completely and let me just continue on my own. And that's just what I did! Within two hours I went from a 5 to 9. When the nurse told me a I was a 9 she went out to give the doctor a heads up and told me if I start to feel a lot of pressure in my bum to let her know. Well as soon as she walked out the door I was starting to feel that pressure, so when she came in a few minutes later, I let her know. She checked me and said it was time! WOW, talk about quick!!! 9 to 10 in a matter of minutes!! We warned them my kids come fast! So they get it all set up and it's time to push! Lucky me, I only had to push for 30 seconds (only taking a breath every ten seconds) and he was out!! So easy! Surprised?? Well let me tell you about Kayla! When she was born the nurse checked me, I was a 10 and she told me to push to see where I was at. She quickly told me to stop and ran out to call my doctor, but it was too late. That one push sent the ball rolling and I never pushed again! Needless to say my doctor didn't make it and they had to run down the hall and grab another doctor. We actually have it on video where you can see the doctor hurrying to put his gloves on and turned just in time to catch her! Crazy I know! I guess I'm just a baby making machine which is very surprising to me. After my tumor and having to have one of my ovary's removed, I really thought the whole pregnancy thing was going to be a difficult road for me. Apparently not!! So after less then 4 1/2 hours of labor our little Jayden Michael was born at 5:11pm weighing a perfect 7lb 9oz, and measuring 20in!










4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Aw, yay!! I was so excited when I got your picture message. :) I feel bad I missed your shower on Saturday, but it does give us a reason to come and hang out one night (I need to bring your gift!!).

lacie tidwell said...

CONGRATS!!! SO excited for yu guys he's beautiful!! hope he learns to not be nocturnal- glad th elabor and delivery went well!!:) you're a champ!!

Diana said...

Congrats! He is a cutie....and you look GREAT in those pictures :)

*Aliese* said...

@ Tammy--

HaHaHa! Thanks. And YES, that is EXACTLY what it means. :) I will still have principalship hours to complete, but those are completely voluntary. My weekends are 99.9% free now! Whenever you guys wanna hang out, give us a call.