I LOVED them. It was perfect for my girls. (This is the picture they listed while trying to sell it). I'd wanted a bunk bed since two twin beds is really difficult to fit in their room. It's not too small, just not many places to put it. There's only one corner for a bed which happens to be right next to the closet door making it not so comfortable. On both sides of the window there's a cubby of sorts so nothing but a bookshelf is really ideal for those two corners, and the door is angled in the only remaining corner. So a bunk bed is the most logical way to go, however, I really didn't want your typical bunk bed. I just didn't feel my kids were really ready for that kind of hazard. But this bed would work perfect! However, as cute as it, I really was going for a slightly different look. I wasn't a fan of the color or the hearts. So I took it on as a project for myself and here is the end result!
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Before & After
So if any of you read my Christmas post and made to the end of all the pictures I posted, I mentioned a gift that I felt deserved it's own praise. My amazing mother knew how badly our girls were in need of a bed. Kylie has been sleeping with her mattress and box spring on the floor, and Kayla was still in her crib (without the railing) only because her mattress does not have a box spring and I didn't really want her that low on the floor. So my mom found this bunk bed on ksl.com and asked me if I liked them.
I love bead board especially on beds, so I added it, filled in the hearts with wood puddy and painted it white. It took three full days and a ton of paint, but I got it done just in time for Christmas. I'd say the hardest part was the hearts, the puddy wouldn't dry! But I couldn't wait for it, so I ended up just painting it with only the outside of it dry. I'm pretty satisfied with the way it turned out. Since I was a little impatient I didn't do so well covering up the hearts on the bed. I'm still trying to think of something I'll like that I can cover them up with. But overall it turned out great! I still have to take a trip to the hardware store in hopes of finding something to cover up the holes the screws are in, but other that that, it's perfect! The kids love playing under it, there's a nice cubbyhole right behind the dresser for them to hide out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That turned out a-mazing! I, too, love me some beadboard (I have nieces and nephews who have it on their bedroom walls). I'm super impressed, Tammy!
very cool! I think the heart-holes were too big for putty. Carpenter's putty is more for filling nail holes etc. I'll ask my husband (an amazing carpenter) what you can do that would be a better solution. Great job!
Post a Comment