Sunday, April 11, 2010

Birthday Girl!

There's quite a bit of updating for me to do, and since I'm still without the internet, it will most likely take a little while, but here's the first event worthy of a post!

So my little girl is now TWO! Not sure how I feel about this. I've spent a lot of time glancing through photos of both my girls lately, and it really seems like yesterday Mike and I just started dating! I can't believe how time flies! Little Kayla's birthday fell on a Sunday this year, so again, we celebrated with just the Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. We had dinner consisting of Wal-Mart pizza, homemade bread sticks, and salad. Also, like always, I had to make her birthday cake! I LOVE this photo! Kayla is at the stage where she's obsessed with balloons; or as she calls them "bobbo" meaning bubble. Her favorite movie is currently "Up" (and "Polar Express". I know, Christmas is over. I had recorded it on our DVR, but shortly after Christmas, banned it from our house, however, since we're currently without cable, my mom brought over a ton of movies to keep us entertained, and of course Polar Express was in the mix). Anyway, I would have loved to have made a cake with the house and balloons on Up, but I seriously would have spent a small fortune on all the different candies I would have used to make it. So a much more simple balloon cake was better fit for our budget.

I tried to use Oreo balls rolled in colored chocolate for the balloons, but it failed miserably! So I used Starburst, one of my FAVORITE ways to decorate cakes, easy and oh so yummy; plus the yellow one's in the Tropical bag are light enough in color you can simply add food coloring for any color you'd like, hence the blue balloons! Yes Starburst was also used for the flowers and the #2, and Skittles were used to outline it. I always make their cake the day before their birthdays, and on Saturday I walked out of my room and found Kayla putting Skittles around the middle of the cake! Too funny! She also tried to rearrange the Skittles the next day. Looks like someone might just carry on the family tradition of homemade birthday cakes!

One more photo for the scrapbook after changing out of our church clothes.
Playing outside while we waited for the rest of the family to arrive.
Grandma & Grandpa Nebeker also bought both girls a kite. Here we are in the process of trying to fly it. Crazy as it may seem, there was absolutely NO wind! Not having even the slightest breeze in Hurricane is obviously not a common thing. So we had to get creative..............

Can you tell what's going on in this photo??? Grandpa Nebeker climbed into his truck and drove around the block while flying the kite out the window! Apparently Kylie was a little freaked out, thinking the kite was like a balloon and would fly off. But she soon got the idea and enjoyed the ride!

Finally all the Family had arrived, so it was now time for candles and presents! It was so adorable watching her try to blow out the candle. She didn't have a problem blowing, just getting close enough to the cake for it to actually make a difference. Every time we tried to get the cake closer to her, she'd back away. We finally had to blow them out for her.

Time for presents! Obviously we had to get her a bubble machine. She is obsessed with it! I love it because now I can turn it on and walk away instead of having to blow all the bubbles myself!

Opening more gifts for the spoiled birthday girl!

Happy Birthday
Kayla!

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

You make such cute cakes. Seriously. When I have kids, I'm payin' ya to make them cakes!

lacie tidwell said...

Seriously!!! I agree!! yo make awesome cakes!!! what a fun day!! time DOES fly by SO FAST! I remember when we went to dinner and we were both preggo! CRAZY how fast it goes!!! happy birthday Kayla!

nancy said...

KAYLA IS FLIPPIN' ADORABLE!!! So is Kylie of course! I love these girls! Happy Birthday big girl!