Thursday, August 6, 2009

Five Down.....Eternity To Go!

Can you believe it?! Today we celebrate FIVE years of marriage! Yet we've known each other for almost SEVEN! Who knew it would go by so quickly. I just wanted to send a shout out to the worlds greatest husband! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Some of you know it was not an easy task for Mike to get me to settle down and marry him. For those of you who don't know, here's a small recap of how we came to be.
We met sometime in August/September 2002 when I first started college. However we didn't start dating until the end of February 2003. I broke it off after only about six weeks of dating. I was sick about it. I'd honestly never cried after breaking up with anyone, except him. (I felt bad about other breakups, but never really cried over it). I felt horrible, but I really didn't think it would lead to anything. At the time I was extremely shy and even when the two of us were alone, I barley uttered a word. My roommate called him and mentioned how bad I felt, so the very next night after the break-up, he came over. The strangest thing happened that night, I don't know if it was because the pressure of impressing him was no longer there, or maybe the feeling of doing something embarrassing while dating was gone, but we talked like I'd never talked to a guy before. From that night on he became my BEST friend! He stuck around while I dated a few more guys, and even dated him a couple times (all the while still remaining best friends). I treated him like trash at times, one of my biggest regrets, and yet the guy stuck around for reasons I still don't understand. I remember one time getting home from a date with someone around midnight, than calling up Mike and asking him if wanted to go out for ice cream! He of course came right over and we hung out until 2 or 3 in the morning. My roommates will vouch for me when I say I stepped all over him and still, he stuck around! Everyone thought he was crazy and could not see whatever it was he saw. Why was I such a jerk?? Well there really is no excuse, but I was young and LOVING my new found freedom (no offense mom) and was not looking to settle down anytime soon. Mike had marriage in his eyes, and I well....did not. My plan was to not get married until I was at least 23. HAHA. Finally in the spring of 2004 Mike had enough and gave me an ultimatum. Either I take him, or he was leaving. I however could not make up my mind. He was my BEST friend in the world and I did NOT want to lose him, but I wasn't sure I wanted to get married. Every time he'd tell me I had until the end of the month to decided, then when the 30th rolled around I'd tell him I just don't know yet and I need more time to think about it. He of course, gave it to me. Marriage is a very serious thing for me and making sure it was right was so very important. Finally in the beginning of May 2004 I got my answer! I knew without a doubt, he was the man I wanted for eternity! I turned the tables a little bit and kept my knew found knowledge from him until the Sunday the 23rd, Mikes birthday. That day after church, I sent him on a scavenger hunt to all of the places around town which held memories for us. Each place had a gift and sent him on to another destination. It ended at the temple (so cliche I know) where I had planned a picnic lunch. Afterwards we walked around the temple and I pulled out a CTR ring I knew he wanted, and I asked him to marry me! Yes it's crazy, I proposed to my husband! Hey, with all I put him through, how could I not tell him I was going to be his forever in an extravagant way?! So on August 6th 2004, we were married for eternity and have never looked backed. The past five years have been the best years of my life! I look forward to forever, and know that as long as I have him, I will continue to have the best years of my life! Happy Anniversary Mike!!!


7 comments:

*Aliese* said...

How is it that I NEVER have heard this engagement story?!? Seriously, that's awesome--good job. I also love the photo montage because I haven't seen most of those either.

Heather said...

Fun pictures! It was great to hear about your dating story.

Sara Schwartz said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Cute pics of you guys!!!

Diana said...

Awww....Happy Anniversary!!

Portia said...

Way to go Nebs!!!! Congrats!

Camille said...

Oh man! The memories this brings back! So much DRAMA!! I'm so glad you finally figured it out. I think we all were! Congrats on five years!!

Kr said...

oh the days when you two were "dating"... I am so glad it turned out! I love you both!